How To Make Caramel Apple Shots
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 10 small granny smith apples
- 1 envelope knox gelatin
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
- 1 envelope Land ‘o Lakes caramel hot chocolate (regular would do just fine if you can’t find caramel)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butterscotch schnapps
- lemon juice
- Halve and hollow out apples, cutting them from the stem down using a melon baller or spoon. Squeeze some lemon juice on top to reduce browning.
- Whisk water with envelope of hot chocolate in a medium saucepan, then add coconut milk. Sprinkle gelatin on top and let sit for a few minutes. Mix over medium-low heat until combined.
- Add sugar and simmer until dissolved. Add food coloring until you get the caramel color desired (two should do it). Let mixture cool to warm and pour in butterscotch schnapps.
- Arrange apple halves tightly on a cookie sheet, pour caramel mixture in and refrigerate overnight.
- Cut halves in quarters and those quarters in half again. Serve immediately. (The lemon juice can only prevent the browning for so long).